Sunday 26 July 2015

Down to the Frame

Hi

I have stripped most of the parts off the bike and the frame is nearly bare.   But I have kept the wheels, the motor and the gearbox on.  The reason for not taking the motor and gearbox off yet is that I intend to take the bike to a friend of mine for a restoration assessment. He has restored around 100 Harley-Davidson's out of the 1940's.

He will assess the condition of the frame (to ensure that it is straight and true) and the condition of all of the bushes on the frame and wheels. If any of the brass bushes are worn (such as the seat post bush) he will replace it. He will then take out the engine and gearbox for a complete rebuild. The frame with the wheels will then come back to me for stripping and painting. 

I have already ordered a complete engine and gearbox gasket set (the engine gasket set with the copper head gaskets).  If he needs any engine or gearbox parts I will order that in. 

This means that I will do most of the painting while he is rebuilding the motor and gearbox. The rebuild of the motor and gearbox could take several months - especially if we need parts, as the parts have to come out of Europe and it normally takes several weeks to get to Cape Town. 

It will also take me a while to strip and paint the frame and the bike parts and to parkerize the nuts and bolts. The approach that I want to follow will be to get a rolling chassis assembled (obviously once I have painted the frame and wheel parts). We can then fit the motor and gearbox and get the bike to start. After that I will complete the fitment. 

My Garage with the 1941 WL on the left and my 1998 1200 Sportster 95th Commemorative Edition on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment