Sunday 11 October 2015

Frame Repainted

Hi

I have reached a significant milestone in the restoration of my 1941 Harley-Davidson WL - I have stripped the paint from the frame, sanded the frame and resprayed the frame in the matt desert khaki colour. 

Why a milestone? What this means is that I have completed the disassembling of the motorcycle and can now start with the assembling of the motorcycle!

To strip the paint off the frame I used an extra strong paint stripper that I applied with a brush. After about 10 minutes I then used the power washer to blast the loose paint off. I had to repeat this process twice before all of the paint was off. 


The Frame: After Stripping the Paint

This was late Friday afternoon. On Saturday I took a wire brush on the drill and I cleaned every nook on the frame to make sure that there was no rust anywhere. This was very laborious and it took maybe 4 or 5 hours to clean the frame. I then used a clean rag and thinners to wash the entire frame clear from any dust or residue.

The Frame: After Stripping the Paint

This photo clearly shows how the frame was constructed in the factory - sections of pipe was fitted into the castings and then brazed (the copper / golden colour is the brazing).


The Frame: Front casting - Cleaned


The Frame: Engine Casting Cleaned



I then sprayed the frame in the matt desert khaki (2 coats).  One coat was laid on during Saturday afternoon, while the second coat went on Sunday morning early. Because the paint is an epoxy paint I have to wait about 8 to 12 hours before the paint is hard (the chemical reaction takes time). I'll wait to this afternoon and then put the frame onto blocks for the re-assembly. 

The Frame: Painted - Left Hand Side


The Frame: Painted - Right Hand Side

Again - this is a significant milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment