Sunday 25 October 2015

Verdict on the Engine and Gearbox

Hi There!

Deon has disassembled the engine and the gearbox of my WL and his verdict was the following:

ENGINE REBUILD

  • The sleeves will have to be bored to the first over-sized piston, as they have a bit of a groove at the top;
  • This will require that we replace the pistons with the first over-size piston and rings;
  • There is too much play on the crank pin and he wants to replace the crank pin with all of its bearings;
  • The gudgeon pin bush will also have to be replaced;
  • The generator gear is a bit worn and he suggested that I replace that as well;
  • Lastly there were some odds and sods that are requires, such as lock washers, thrust washers and the oil pressure unit;
  • I have already bought a full engine gasket set with copper head gaskets.

GEARBOX REBUILD

    • The gearbox main shaft has a bit of play and he suggested that I replace the bushes and the rollers;
    • The drive sprocket is pretty worn and has to be replaced - I will also replace the sprocket keys;
    • The clutch springs are pretty soft and I will have to get an entire set of clutch springs;
    • He needed another seal that was not included in the gearbox gasket set that I have bought;
    • And then the lock washers and thrust washers.

    PARTS ORDERED

    I have ordered some of the parts from Celments Trading in Holland and some parts from 45Parts.EU (they might also be in Holland).   

     ENGINE AND GEARBOX NUTS AND BOLTS

    When I dropped off the engine and gearbox at Deon, he gave me all the parts back that had to be painted, as well as, the nuts and bolts.

    I will clean all of the nuts and bolts on the wire wheel and then parkerdize the lot.

    As for the parts that have to be painted, I will paint some black and some the desert Khaki.

    MEANWHILE

    While I am respraying the parts and pakerdizing the nuts and bolts, Deon will proceed with the re-boring of the engine.

    Once I have received the parts that I have ordered, I will deliver the parts, as well as, the freshly parkedized nust and bolts and the re-painted parts to Deon to complete the build.

    I hope to have the engine and gearbox back from Deon by the middle of December - he is going on leave.  That will allow me to install the engine and gearbox back into the frame during our December holiday.

    CONCLUSION

    I really don't think this is bad for an engine and gearbox that is more than 74 years old!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment