Saturday 21 May 2016

An All Original Guide Headlight, Reflector and Socket

Hi. 

The headlight of my Harley - Davidson WL  has Guide stamped on the shell. When I sandblasted the headlight it was clearly visible. The paint has partly hidden the logo.  Here is a photo. It looks like the shell was repaired at some stage and some of the stamping has been removed. But the motorcycle went through the 2nd World War for Pete's sake! She is entitled to have some scars! 

Palmer says that the original reflector has a full groove around it's edge for the seal to fit into. 


Here is a photo of the reflector that clearly shows the edge for the seal. 

In this photo I have fitted the seal - to show that the edge actually does accommodate the seal. 

Lastly the headlight socket. Palmer states that the factory used either a two or a three wire system. 

This photo shows that my WL has a 3 wire system. I have not refurbished the socket, as it was still in a reasonable condition.  The wires are clearly old.  Also visible is the ground wire riveted to the socket. 

Lastly, note that I have replaced the screws with the correct screws - the screws that were used when I dismantled the headlight were not the correct screws. 

The motorcycle did not have a lense when I bought it. I have managed to get a Guide lense on eBay.  


No comments:

Post a Comment