Saturday 21 May 2016

Re-Wiring the Harley - Davidson WL

Hi. 

I have started re-wiring the Harley. Here is a wiring diagram from the WLA Manual (for early models).





I have come across another wiring harness that is more correct for the WL's. 


By way of introduction:
  • Firstly, I have tried my level best to obtain New Old Stock, or NOS (original H-D wiring manufactured in the 1940's) wiring looms.  But I have not been able to get hold of all of the wiring as NOS and had to fall back to using replica wires that used the correct H-D colour codes, were cloth-covered and with the correct connectors (some connectors were flag type connectors, some circular connectors, some were just the wires rolled into a circle and soldered).
  • Before I installed a wire loom, I would read up on what Palmer has to say about the wiring loom, how it should be installed / routed, etc.
  • I would also have a look at the various manuals that I have on the WLA.
  • I also made sure that the connectors were soldered on correctly - meaning that the flag connectors were in the right places, etc.
  • I would then use friction tape to tape the ends of every wire, to ensure that the cloth covering does not fray.
  • Only then did I place the wiring loom on the motorcycle.
  • I also made sure that the looms were going through the correct holes on the dash panel.
  • Then, I taped the loom in the positions indicated by Palmer.
  • And I would then place the correct wire clip in the position indicated by Palmer.
  • Lastly, I tested the loom with a multi-meter to make sure that it functions properly.
  • Then go to the next wiring loom / wire.

The first wires that I have installed were the headlight wires - see post "Installing the Headlight Wiring".

I then installed the switch to generator wire - see post "Switch to Generator Harness".

Next I fitted the switch to fork harness - see post "Switch to Fork Harness".

I then connected the rear brake pull switch and connected the wires - see post "The Rear Brake Pull Switch".

Then I installed the handlebar wires - see post "Handlebar Wiring".

I connected the battery - see post "Battery Installation".

That was followed by the the switch to coil harness - see post "Switch to Coil Harness Installation".

After that, I connected the dashboard wires - see post "Connecting the Dashboard Wires".

I have also connected the headlight wires - see post "Connecting the Headlight Wires".

That was followed by pulling the brake light harness through the channel in the rear fender - see post "Fitting the Rear Light Harness".

Then I connected the horn button and the headlight toggle switch - see posts "Re-assembling the Horn Button" and "Re-assembling the Headlight Toggle Switch".

After that, I fitted the front terminal plate and connected the wires to the horn terminal plate. I also ran an earth wire to the horn terminal plate - see post “Fitting the Front Terminal Plate and Wiring“.

I then connected the above-mentioned earth wire to the dashboard base and completed the wiring of the dashboard.

I then test fitted the tanks and the dashboard to see if I have to shim the dashboard - see post “Test Fitted the Dashboard Cover and Tanks”.

Lastly I connected the two rear harness wires to the tail lamp - see post “Fitting the Rear Light Harness”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment