Saturday 8 August 2015

Panel Beating and Prepping for Painting / Parkerizing

Hi

A very good friend of mine and I have spent most of Saturday panel beating the bent parts of the Harley-Davidson.  Some of the body panels needed a little bit of work to fit nicely, while the odd part needed some more straightening.

The front fender, rear fender, front stand, rear stand, battery box, etc., now fits beautifully. I can now start with the preparation for painting / parkerizing and the painting / parkerizing.

The front stand now fits really nicely!

And so do the rear stand!

Talking about painting - I have come across a 2nd World War steel helmet used by the Union Defence Force of South Africa on Bid or Buy.  I have bought the steel helmet, as I want to use it when I drive with the bike (once it has been restored).  This helmet was painted a Desert Khaki.

A World War 2 UDF SA steel helmet

The inside of the helmet

I have used the helmet to mix the Desert Khaki colour that I want to paint the bike with.

I have also started with sand blasting the first parts that I want to paint or parkerize.

The Sand Blasting Cabinet that I am using

The Rear Axle, nicely sand-blasted.  Ready to be Parkerized!

No comments:

Post a Comment