Sunday 2 August 2015

The Frame of my Harley-Davidson WL was Manufactured in 1941

Hi

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am down to the frame with the disassembly.  Bruce Palmer has an amazing amount of information in his book on "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson".  In one of the Chapters in the book he explains the differences between the frames from year to year.

Scanned Image from Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" showing what the early to mid 1941 frames for the 45's looks like.

This Photo shows the Clutch Cable Housing Frame Bracket on my 45

Scanned Image from Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" showing what the 1931 to mid 1941 Upper Seat Post Forging looks like.

This Photo shows the Upper Seat Post Forging on my 45

Would you agree with me that is exactly the same forging as that shown in the book of Bruce Palmer?  This means that the frame of my Harley-Davidson was manufactured somewhere between January 1941 to June or July 1941!

Scanned Image from Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" showing what the early to mid 1941 Steering Head Forging looks like.

This Photo shows the Steering Head Forging on my 45

 This forging was used between January 1941 to June or July 194, which confirms that the frame of my Harley-Davidson was manufactured somewhere between January 1941 to June or July 1941!

Scanned Image from Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" showing the details of the UDF (SA) Military U Model's Rear Stand.

This Photo shows the Rear Stand on my 45, clearly showing the sand pads on the rear stand.

I am fairly convinced that I am the fortunate owner of an early to mid 1941 Harley-Davidson 45 cubic inch U-model frame that was supplied to the South African Union Defence Force.

And yes, there is a lot of work ahead to get it back into its original condition, but that is what I would like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment