Saturday 23 July 2016

Refurbisment of the Controls

Morning

I have started with the refurbishment of the handle bar controls (both for the manual retard /advance and the throttle).

Exploded View of Controls

I first used my Dremel tool with a small sanding disc to remove all of the rust and gunk from the controls - here are some pictures. 


I  then used a small dowel with a piece of cloth attached to grease the inside of the controls. 

Next, I removed the rust and gunk from the cable end and replaced the old wire with new piano wire of exactly the same diameter. 

This is what it looked like after fitting the new piano wire. 

Next, I pulled the outer cable trough. 

And pushed the inner control wire through. The control coil was greased. 

And I then pushed the pin in. 

And the slider on. 

The piece of masking tape at the end of the outer just below the tank was just to protect the cloth covering while I pushed the outer cable through. Note that the outer cable is a reproduction - the reason being that NOS outer cables are virtually impossible to find (and when you can, they cost a small fortune). 

Next, I fitted the nut at the end of the handle bar. 


The grip was fitted. 

And the cable was routed according to Palmer. 


And then I did the throttle control. 

I routed the control cable according to Palmer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment