Saturday 3 September 2016

Assembly of the Front Brake

Hi. 

I have previously assembled the brake shoes. 


I have already assembled the front brake shackle and have partly assembled the brake lever. 



Next I have to fit a washer and the nut with the zerk fitting onto the brake lever.


I now have to fit the stabiliser inner copper washer (with some grease).


Next I have to fit the stabiliser centre plate nipple extension with the zerk fitting onto the stabiliser centre plate.


This has to be followed by the outer stabiliser copper washer.


Next is the stabiliser spring washer.


Followed by the stabiliser outer cover (but I had to take off the zerk fitting and it's nipple extension).


Done. 


I then mounted the front brake assembly. Just a note on this - the stabiliser has to connect with the one rocker stud, with the brake shackle in position.

Fit the shackle stud lock washer correctly.


Then fit the front brake cable clamp.


Correction - the cable clamp should be fitted first, otherwise you cannot close the tabs of the lock washer to lock the nut.


I then trimmed the front brake cable to the correct length and fitted the cable through the adjuster bolt.


Then thread the cable through the lower control wire connector.


I then cut the cable with a cable cutter, soldered the end of the cable to prevent it from fraying and then fastened the nut.


Lastly I backed up the adjustment screw to take up the slack in the cable. And Viola! The front brake works! I'll do the final adjustments when the wheel has been fitted. 

PS: I have also greased all of the connections with grease nipples.

No comments:

Post a Comment