Sunday 25 September 2016

Oil Tank Rinsed

Hi

Doepie tells a story about a WL that he restored a while back, where the oil tank had about 3 inches of sand in the oil tank. He said that when he looked into the oil tank, the oil had cut a pathway through the sand to the oil pipe.

But what was more amazing was that when he opened up the motor, the entire inside of the motor was coated with sand. Despite all of the sand in the motor, the motor was actually running before he started with the restoration!

Because a large number of the WL's were used by the Union Defence Force of South Africa in the Western Sahara desert during WW2, they did pick up a lot of sand in the oil tanks.

I really don't want sand in the newly rebuilt motor and have rinsed the oil tank:
1. I started by pouring about 1/2 litre of thinners into the tank (obviously after blocking all of the outlets) and I then swirled the thinners around the tank. After about 2 minutes I poured the black gunk into an old container.
2. I repeated this process again, using thinners again.
3. I then switched to petrol and rinsed the tank again.
4. I repeated the process again, using petrol.
5. To prevent the tank from rusting I poured a bit of oil in the tank and swirled the oil around, which I poured out.

Next, I want to fit the oil and fuel tanks and connect all of the fuel and oil lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment